Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not for profit, university and teaching hospital system that comprises 13 campuses, seven hospitals and 217 outreach medical centres across eight countries.
The Aga Khan University, East Africa wishes to recruit three (3) individuals for leadership positions in the following roles:
- Chair, Department of Anaesthesia
- Chair, Department of Pathology
- Chair, Department of Surgery
Reporting to the Dean, Medical College and the CEO, Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi (AKUH,N), the Chairs will have the overall responsibility for the conduct of the academic and service mandate of their respective department, consistent with the mission and policies of the Aga Khan University and the Aga Khan University Hospital.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Committing to building a Faculty of Health Sciences and excellent Health Services that promotes growth within and across disciplines, building an academic health system that reflects the interdependence of quality clinical care, research and education, and that maximizes programmatic multi-disciplinary opportunities within health sciences and health services across the university.
- Advancing the research agenda of the University through recruitment and faculty development of scientists and clinician scientists.
- Fostering the growth of patient volumes, in line with the annual budgets;
- Leading the development of new services and initiatives that contribute to the financial sustainability of the hospital.
- Ensuring the development and application of clinical quality management methods within the department, including practice guidelines and audits.
- Ensuring compliance and oversight of clinical practice including credentialing of all practicing physicians as per the Joint Commission International Accreditation (JCIA) for Hospitals.
- Fostering good relations with community physicians and other organizations in the community with the goal of stimulating patient referrals to AKUH-based physicians.
- Ensuring the productive and cost-effective use of human, material and capital resources entrusted to the department.
The ideal candidate:
- Should have demonstrated track record of leadership within an academic health sciences centre, teaching hospital or integrated health authority who is (or eligible to be) at Associate Professor Level and above.
- Should be registered or eligible for registration by the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board.
- Should have experience working in a developing country and /or the ability to adapt in this context.
- Should have worked in a multi-site and in a multi-country institutions or have potential to manage in a similar environment with strong financial management skills and demonstrated ability to deliver both as a clinician and an academician.
The Chair (s) should possess specialist qualification in their respective area of specialization with excellent clinical skills and evidence based experience in teaching and exposure to management of undergraduate programmes; collaborative academic research and publications in area of specialization.
Please email applications (resume/cv and cover letter), including the names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone/fax numbers of three professional references, addressed to Director, Human Resources, P. O. Box 30270-00100, NAIROBI or by email to email@example.com so as to reach not later than 8th November, 2012. Applications by email are preferred. Please visit www.aku.edu for more details.