BY BERNARD MOMANYI
NAIROBI, Kenya Jun 23 – There was drama at Jogoo House on Thursday afternoon when activists camping there to demand the exit of Education Minister Professor Sam Ongeri were smeared with human waste.
The activists have been camping outside the Ministry of Education since Wednesday after they were released from police custody where they had been detained after they sneaked into the Minister’s office and locked it using a chain and a padlock.
The lobbyists insisted they would not leave Jogoo House until Professor Ongeri steps aside to facilitate an investigation over the loss of some Sh4.2 billion that was meant for education programmes.
On Thursday afternoon, street boys said to have been hired splashed them with human faeces, causing a major commotion outside the ministry’s headquarters.
“It is a big shame and embarrassment for someone to send street boys to come and splash us with human waste when we are fighting for the majority Kenyans,” one of the activists Fredrick Odhiambo told Capital News.
Most of the activists camping outside Jogoo House who suffered the wrath of the street boys were caught unawares.
“I was busy shouting Ongeri must go when suddenly fresh human waste landed on me… you can see the embarrassment it has caused to me,” a smartly dressed activist taking part in the protest said.
Another man who had his face covered with human waste said “We will not be intimidated or cowed. The protests will continue and we will not leave here until Ongeri quits.”
Even passers-by were caught unawares as they were drenched in human waste, before they apprehended one of the street boys.
They later handed him over to the police officers manning the ministry headquarters but Capital News independently established that he has been set free.
The activists later recorded a statement at the KICC police station, demanding action against people they accused of hiring the goons to splash them with human waste.
“We want action taken against these people who are intimidating us when we are fighting for the people of Kenya,” Mr Odhiambo said.
An audit conducted by the Finance Ministry has revealed that up to Sh4.2 billion meant for the education sector was misappropriated.
The audit calls for further investigations on top officials at the Ministry of Education but Professor Ongeri, former Permanent Secretary Karega Mutahi and his successor Professor James Ole Kiyiapi have denied responsibility over the missing funds.
Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission director Patrick Lumumba has called for the resignation of Professors Ongeri and Kiyiapi whom he wants to take responsibility over the massive loss of funds at the ministry.
Follow the author at https://twitter.com/momanyibernard